Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink How f*ckin' awesome are The Satan's Pilgrims???!!!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

Okay, I've been a big fan of this band since basically day one. I know Teddy is on this site and I ain't kissin' anyone's ass, I just love them! I was listening to their stuff on YouTube this evening and starting linking to several of their tunes and it got me thinking.... Damn, what a f*ckin' great band! They got it "right"! Surf, Fuzz, Go-Go, Twist, Psych. They mix it up in such a great way. Here's just some of the tunes I was jivin' to tonight. Thanks Ted and Co. SP rules! I love so many of thier songs for different reasons. For example they have so many rockin' tunes but then they do a song like "Chi Chi" and it makes me wanna cry.

Feel free to post your favorite!

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012 21:38:50

Don't forget about all of their soul and garage material as well.

Anyways, yeah they rule! I wouldn't have known about Satan's Pilgrims if it wasn't for the Ghastly Ones so thanks for that. I was pretty obsessed with this band for a while at some point. Just ask, Ted. I would pester him with tons of questions about his band and he was nice enough to answer all of them. I'm just glad that I got to see these fellas tear it up on stage at the last SG101 convention. It was cool hanging out with, Ted and talking to the rest of the Pilgrims. Great band indeed.

BTW yeah, "Chi-Chi" is a great song, "Ran-Goon" is too. I love listening to those pretty melodys.

The Deadbeats

I'm with you Norman, when I started getting into surf music in the early aughts, they were one of the first bands that really rang my bell and made it seem possible that I could really enjoy doing this. Through these past 10 years or so I've never tired of them, great songs, great players and great people! The show in Portland with the G.O.'s will always be a highlight for me.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

To answer your original question: pretty f*ckin' awesome!

Thanks for the shares.

SSIV

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012 00:04:51

Yes, the Pilgrims do indeed rule. Best band name of all time as well. Here's my favorite Pilgrims' tune

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

The Pilgrims do indeed rule! Great tracks already posted. This may be an obvious one, but Surf Lyre is automatically what I think of when one mentions SP, it's nothing short of a modern-day surf anthem.

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

Satan's Pilgrims are very f*ckin awesome indeed! Great bunch of musicians who've put Oregon back on the music map! Honestly hadn't listened to much of their stuff until just a couple years ago, when I bought Plymouth Rock, one listen to just the first couple songs on their and I was instantly hooked! Course I discovered them by way of The Ghastly Ones, so a big thanks to you Norm for your bands contributions too! Definitely favorites of mine, along with the previously posted Godfather, are Haunted House of Rock and Peter Lorre.

-Damon.

Likewise, they were one of the first groups that grabbed me when I first started getting into surf music in the mid to late 90's. I bought a couple of compilations, including Del-Fi's Surf Monsters, and Harem Nocturne really stood out and made me want to seek out more. Their Creature Feature album is a true classic, it never gets old.

Here is one of my favorites, live from last year's SG101 convention: Devil's Punchbowl!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Sounds like a few others here were turned on to SP by the Ghastly's like I was. Thanks Norm & Ghastly Ones!!

I love just about every song they do, but the one that gets me the most is Haunted House of Rock. It is such a simple song, yet every note is bad ass!

We have other threads talking about our "HOLY GRAIL" albums that we all want so bad but are hard to find. Satan's Pilgrims were on my HOLY GRAIL LIVE SHOW list. I was sort of all over the place in the 90s, so I was never was able to catch them. Thanks to the convention last year (THANKS JEFF!!!), I was FINALLY able to see them live. What a show!!!

F*ckin' awesome, indeed! Headbang

What everybody said above,
and a Hell Yeah!!!!

Shortly after getting into surf in 96, I started picking up various SP
releases, on LP,CD, or 45, when I saw them in surf sections. I loved what they were doing. I think the 1st time I Heard them was on the Instro Nation CD that Dave Arnson put together.
http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1191161/a/21+St+Century+Surf+Sounds.htm .
After that I was hooked, and I needed to get more.
I saw them in 99 I believe it was at the HB surf museum parking lot,
and later that night in Costa Mesa with the Bomboras.After seeing them Live and being totally Blown away,
(I was on a search to get everything they put out. I have all of the CDs, LPs, and 45s, but I am not sure if i have every comp they are on, still need to look into that).And then the next year they came back as a 4 piece, and played in LA I assume and Club Mesa again,this time with the Bomboras and Dynotones.Another Awesome show!
I was sad to hear that the Band was going on Hiatus and Ted was moving away from Oregon.But then very happy to hear a few years later
that they were doing some reunion shows. I missed the first couple years shows,(the one I was bummed about the most being the 1 with the Nebulas).
But I did make it up to Portland and Seattle for the Ghastly Ones and Satan's Pilgrims shows.Totally Awesome!,especially the Portland show.
With around 1000 people at the Crystal Ballroom.I was awe-struck and inspired to see So many people at a surf show,and not just yer average
"surf fan" all types of people were there.
After that they did a show in Las Vegas,then a Big 20 band show in LA
the night after. Ran(kick the reverb) and Kristena(tiki-tena) and I (along with Paulie from the Treblemakers who flew into LA to go to both of these shows with us)drove to Las Vegas,getting stuck in a traffic jam
and taking almost 8 hours to get to Vegas,but we made the show in time.
and we were Glad we made the trek.
Of course I was happy to hear about the New Psychsploitation album.
At first I was wondering how this was gonna sound,and how it would be.
It is definitely different for them. But,I think its awesome,and you can totally tell its still them.And everyone must have it in their collection.
The Next thing is the most awesome part of my Pilgrims relationship.
The 2011 SG101 line up was pretty much in stone, and I was getting ready to print the flyers,when Ted contacted me,and said they wanted to play the SG101 convention. Shock I was awestruck, and honored to have them,
and make room for them.I thought that they were one of those bands that was outta my reach and wouldn't want to do a "Surf only Convention"
But not only did they want to do it, they tailored their set to be mostly
their surf songs.I will always be grateful to them for coming and playing for all us Surf Nerds of the SG101 family.

With that I say thanks to Satan's Pilgrims for all of yer Awesome music
and the great shows that I have seen.
I think that the Surf Scene is surely a better thing because of them.
and, oh yeah
SHIT SANDWHICH!!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012 13:01:10

It's simple: the Pilgrims are among the very best, the krem de la krem of the past 20 years of surf music. They did it all - they were fun, they could play, they could appeal to the hard-core trad guys as well as the more proggy guys, they had amazing songwriting whether they were writing really simple pieces or lengthy epics (e.g., title track of Creature Feature), they had one of the most amazing sounds in surf music history that was equally trad as it was distinctively theirs, their songs always had a deep groove that made them so danceable, and on and on.... Just an incredible band that got it right on every level. Seeing them at last year's convention was intense and awesome, I was SO grateful for a chance to see them one more time (the last time before that was in '98).

Long live Satan's Pilgrims!

(A little birdie told me we may be getting some 'new' material from them this year...)

PS BTW, Shit Sandwich lives on - I believe the Cocktail Preachers covered it at our Indy show 10 days ago!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012 13:39:33

Creature Feature! Boss B.S.A. and Scorpio 6 are my favorites. Vampiro was the first song of theirs that I heard. Minimalist surf riffage, but oh so perfect.

Twisted Evil > Angel

Satan's Pilgrims are one of the best things about living in Portland. First caught them in the '90s at a Powell's Books (my wife works for them) Xmas party billed as Santa's Pilgrims. Epic. Embarrassed the hell out our then-young daughters with our carrying-on. Then the Doug Fir and Crystal Ballroom shows. And THEN the SG101 set last Aug. F*ckin' awesome fer sure. More more more...!

Rick

Rick

Hellz Yeah. Viva la Satan's Pilgrims.

(defunct) Thee Jaguar Sharks

Plus! Other stuff not surf: https://soundcloud.com/jamesmileshq
Enjoy every minute

DannySnyder wrote:

The show in Portland with the G.O.'s will always be a highlight for me.

That is still the best 'surf' show I've ever been to. I was blown away by their energy and wall o' sound. They were also one of the first modern surf bands I got into ( I found "Around the world with..." at my neighborhood library).

Satan's Pilgrims just hits some many musical themes that I love; specifically garage, soul and psychedelia. But really what does it for me is that they can groove. No matter the style of song, the Pilgrims have an awesome groove.

Science friction burns my fingers.

Can only add to what's already been said - one of the most powerful live bands I've ever seen, and their albums are all-time favorites.

Favorite songs: "Creature Feature," "Boss BSA," "Beach Creep," "Dueling Jags." "Soul Creepin," "Psycle Pswami," "Badge of Honor," and "Rainy Day Green Stop Sign" ... plus too many others to list.

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

Hell yeah, Norm! They ARE f*ckin' awesome! Satan's Pilgrims are the reason I love surf music so much today! I first heard the Pilgrims in 1993-94, during my teenage years chock full of punk-rock, skateboarding and snowboarding. Two of their tracks, 'Peter Lore' and 'Surf Lyre' were on a snowboard video (also chock full of punk-rock) that I watched endlessly. These standout, oddly lyricless tracks had struck a chord with me (literally!). I soon after picked up their recently released debut "At Home With.." at 2nd Ave Records here in Portland and read the liner-notes. "Holy crap, they're from Portland!" and "Wow, half these songs are covers!", I remember thinking. I was already familiar with the biggies like The Ventures and Dick Dale. After all, it was the year of Dick's big come-back thanks to Tarantino. But it was The Pilgrims that introduced me to a genre full of artists that forever changed the way I play my guitar!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012 19:12:44

Satan's Pilgrims were one of the first modern surf bands I got into in the 1990's. I defintely remember them on the Blood Red Vinyl comp, and might have heard Haunted House of Rock on the 7", but what sealed the deal for me was Around the World With. I said ot many times on here the past, I think they could be the best surf band ever, and yes, that includes first wave. Just the sheer amount of excellent songs they wrote (see videos above) qualifies them, IMHO.
As others said, they have songs in many styles, but yet they are all distinctive Satan's Pilgrims music.

I was fortunate enough to be able to see them in Seattle in the first reunion (where I also met Brian, Dick Messick, Jim Nichols and I think Dan Ware), then the next year seeing them (with The Nebulas) in Seattle and Portland. Then later as Jeff mentioned, LA and Las Vegas, and of course SG101 convention.
Excellent shows, with the Portland show standing out. I wish I could have seen them with The Ghasyly Ones in Portland Smile

To top it all these guys are down to earth and super nice. They even cater to certain fans' requiremnets for big sized T-Shirts...

Ran

The Scimitars

Wow! This was a nice surprise after a long day where the band was not (for once) on my mind at all. Y'all are too much. And your kickback checks are in the mail!:)
But seriously, it is really nice to be appreciated (thanks Norm) in our 20th year! Hope we can pull some shows out of our hats before the year ends! As fate would have it, it's proving to be a difficult year in that regard...Hope we can get back out there!
Thanks from all the Pilgrims.

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012 20:13:20

Don't mention it, Ted! You guys rule! And like I said I ain't just kissin' butt either. I remember getting "At Home With" and "Soul Pilgrim" at an Indy record store that mostly carried punk records and t-shirts, but they had a small yet excellent surf and garage section with new and old bands. It was around '95/96 and so much great stuff was coming out... MoaM, The Apemen, The Vice Barons, and so on. I dug it all. That stuff was great but your records in particular blew me away. The music was fantastic, very rooted in the 60's sound but with an energy that was very modern. Plus, the look with the Count V capes, the biker-flick inspired name, and the packaging was all there. Top notch. It was at the time that Garrett and I started up The Ghastly Ones. Hard to believe that was nearly 20 years ago! I had always wanted to start a surf band and seeing that there was all these young bands playing this stuff, putting out records, and touring somehow made it seem less crazy of an idea considering the lingering stench of L.A. Metal was still in the air, Grunge was dominating the airwaves, and Numetal was about to break. So many great shows and venues back then too. Moguls, The Garage, 3 of Clubs, The Martini Lounge, Bar Deluxe, and Spaceland. I saw The Pilgrims at many of those places. There was an amazing energy, younger crowds, and much, much stronger interest in surf/garage shows back then. The shows were really diverse. And so were the bands. Great times!!

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next