Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » For Sale / Trade »

Permalink Mosrite pickups wound by Ed Elliott with original 1960s (NOS) Mosrite pickup covers and rings

Page 1 of 1

After I bought my Japanese reissue Mosrite (Kurokumo factory), I contacted Ed Elliott to see if he could rewind the pickups. Ed Elliott worked with the legendary Semie Moseley at Mosrite in the 1970s and '80s, and he owns the old Mosrite shop equipment. The Japanese Kurokumo factory Mosrite pickups use ceramic magnets and, consequently, sound different from vintage Mosrite pickups, which is why I contacted Ed. When he replied, he told me that I could keep the Japanese pickups and that he would make me new pickups, using original 1960s (NOS) Mosrite pickup covers and rings. He also said that he winds the coils to around 13K ohms and that he uses Alnico V magnets.

I received the pickups a month later and they have that vintage warmth that the Japanese pickups don't have. They also get a real musical feedback, instead of the shrieking that the Japanese pickups give. Despite this, I realized that I actually prefer the sharper sound of the Japanese pickups. The vintage warmth of these original Mosrite-style pickups just isn't as suited for all of what I play. To me, the Japanese pickups, being more trebly, sound a bit like a Fender Jaguar and I like the sound of a Jaguar, but I like everything else about the Mosrite, including the neck, the vibrato, the look, etc.

So, that's why I've decided to sell the Ed Elliott pickups. I paid $205 for the pickups, which included shipping. Plus I went ahead and paid the $6.25 PayPal fee, just to help Ed out, because, considering that he used NOS Mosrite pickup covers and rings, I knew that he had given me a good deal. These pickups only have a couple of days use; however, I slightly scuffed the neck pickup. It's hardly noticeable (you can see it in the last pic), but I know that makes them worth less than what I paid. So, I'm selling both pickups for $125 and you pay shipping. I don't know for sure if they're 13K ohms. That's around what Ed said he winds them to and they are quite powerful. I'd say that they're equal to the power of the Japanese ceramic pickups.

A friend suggested that, before I sell them, I try a combination of perhaps the Japanese neck pickup and the Ed Elliott bridge pickup, and I briefly considered trying that, but I'm happy with the original pickups and I want to sell these as a pair.

$125 for both? That's a great deal. My Ed Elliott wound bridge pickup measured out at 12.9k. Someone's going to be very happy to get these.

Twisted Evil > Angel

Ed's pickups are top notch, and $125 for both is definitely a great deal.

PM'ed ya, Tom.

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

do you ship internationnaly ?
if yes how much it will cost
i am located in france

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012 13:15:58

PM sent!

Hi everybody. Some interest has been expressed and I appreciate it. I'm thinking that I should have said more in my posting about my take on the sound, but I didn't want to sound disrespectful about Ed Elliott. So, until now, I've been summarizing in PM mode with anybody who has expressed interested, but now I've decided to post this follow-up. When I ordered these from Ed Elliott, it was because everybody says that EF Elliott does such a good job and I've read where people have said that his pickups are the closest to vintage Mosrite pickups, but, to my ears, these are a lot warmer. I don't know; maybe it's the way that I wired them - I had some trouble with that at first, but I don't think so. To summarize, I'd say that, to my ears, they're more like a cross between that Nokie "Live in Japan '65" sound and almost a P-90 sound. I've only heard vintage Mosrites on albums and I've never played a vintage Mosrite, but, when I installed these, I was surprised at the warmth. It might be just my ears and I don't want to disrespect Ed Elliott in any way. These are very cool pickups, they're powerful and they have amazing tone. I just want to be honest about how they sound to me so that nobody regrets anything! That extra warmth puts me off. Of course, I've previously played Jaguars, another Japanese Mosrite and some Danelectos. So, my comparison is just based on albums that I have. Amps and the recording process probably comes into the mix more than a little, but, again, I just want to be honest about what I don't care for in the sound of these pickups. Figured it's easier to post it than to repeat this in every PM!

They just sold. Thanks!

Thanks for your answer
next i try to be more faster Big Grin

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012 10:50:37

Ed Elliott pups are amazing I have them on my 67' Mark V
I bought them back in the summer of 08' through his Ebay listing.

Cheers
Kyle

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

Love that picture, Kyle!

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

Page 1 of 1