Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Greatest Single Surf Song

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

I'm going to cop out on the question for now, and just say this. As much as I like the bludgeoning power of the Original Surfaris Bombora, I think I like the Atlantics Bombora a bit better (completely different song). That bassline, the drumming, the frantic rhythm guitar, and the needle stabbing stinging lead guitar are pure genius.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Klas

bigtikidude
as for single greatest surf song, Im gonna go with a twist in the word play and go with the Best single(45) of surf songs. Bombora and Surfari by the Original Surfaris.

That made me think of the Astronauts great two-sider "Baja" b/w "Kuk". However, I don't think you guys want to know what those two song titles means in Swedish Laughing

As for best surf song ever, I still rank Pipeline as #1.

I do, lay it on us Klas, or if its too rude/crude, can you PM me.
thanks,
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Pipeline
Wipeout
Baha-ree-bah - Laika and the Cosmonauts version
Tzar Wars - Space Cossacks
Miserlou - Surfaris (Ron Eglit on lead)
Miserlou - Slacktone
Apache - Surfaris (Paul Johnson lead)
Surf Lyre - Satans Pilgrims
Surf Angel - Orginal Surfaris
Comanche - The Revels
Bullwinkle Part II - The Centurians

bigtikidude

Klas

bigtikidude
as for single greatest surf song, Im gonna go with a twist in the word play and go with the Best single(45) of surf songs. Bombora and Surfari by the Original Surfaris.

That made me think of the Astronauts great two-sider "Baja" b/w "Kuk". However, I don't think you guys want to know what those two song titles means in Swedish Laughing

I do, lay it on us Klas, or if its too rude/crude, can you PM me.

OK, here goes:

"Baja" in Swedish means to empty the bowel and "Kuk" is a strongly vulgar word for penis. Pretty hilarious I think and one can wonder if the single had any success on the Swedish pop charts in 1963 Laughing

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

I can't decide which I like better between Squad Car, Everybody Up, and a dozen or so others. I can never do the questions where you have to pick just one, it seems.

WELCOME!

From the Eleki Boom world I think I'll toss in Takeshi Terauchi's TEST DRIVER.

Smile

don't panic!

Guitar welcome to sg101!! lots of those out there, some real classic stuff! i'll put in for pipeline--miserlou and baja. with pipeline i like the version of DD and SRVbecause of DD's "solo!!" so pure in its own way. miserlou--ok--DD and the surfaries versions. baja by the astronauts just because its freakin' COOL!! just one man's opinion. peace see you 'round!

It's hard to pick just one, but in addition to some of the others that have been mentioned, I gotta go with the Ventures' "Journey to the Stars."

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

Pipeline, original version by the Chantays. I love the rhythm, then how the melody kindy sneaks in real cool. And the piano solo, very laid back and subtle. Complete in every way.

That said, I can't wait to find "Wayward Nile," as suggested by DP. Man knows his surf.

Miserlou, always great, especially the Surf Coasters' version. Hate to say it but Shigeo does Dick Dale better than Dick Dale himself.

Lately, been diggin' "Haunted House of Rock," by Satan's Pilgrims. Sinister surf. Those guys get the original surf vibe, but twisted man. Twisted.

Finally, "Theme from Endless Summer." Maybe it is the influence of the film, but it always makes me feel like I am at the beach on a sunny day with nice longboard waves stretching like cordurouy to the horizon.

G

Klas
"Baja" in Swedish means to empty the bowel and "Kuk" is a strongly vulgar word for penis. Pretty hilarious I think and one can wonder if the single had any success on the Swedish pop charts in 1963 Laughing

Yeah, "kuk" always sounded to me like it had to be a bad word in some language. I guess the Swedish were the first to realize that syllable's full potential. Laughing

I can't pick one greatest surf tune, so I won't. But I will say that I absolutely love "Wayward Nile." It's one of my favorite 1st wave songs (or all waves, at that). I like it waaay more than Pipeline.

Glide
Red Sunrise or Exolumina
Intruder
Theme From Slaying Beauty
Surf Lyre
Bermuda Triangle Shorts

To name a few

.........uh........

I'm starting to wonder if BOSS, by the Rumblers couldn't be at least ONE of the greatest single surf songs. ?

Louie

couldn't avoid this thread for any longer...had to have a peek!

hello L7, welcome to the place of surf guitar brother(and sister)hood!

I think I like the Atlantics Bombora a bit better (completely different song). That bassline, the drumming, the frantic rhythm guitar, and the needle stabbing stinging lead guitar are pure genius.

....Brian I agree, it's my inspiration..and I thank Ivan and The Cossacks for keeping that song alive, he does a great job on it too.
1st Place: Bombora by The Atlantics
2nd Place: Pipeline (this songs never going away, like it or not)
3nd Place: Surfing Drums by The Surfaris ..i had to put this as one of the tops, just a personal fave, the warmest drum and bass sound and just a feeling it gives me.

Runners Up: Sandstorm by The Madiera, Malaguena version by The Bambi's.. i feel guilty, just so many good songs out there, old and new, unfair question!!

all the best
adam

pipeline by the chantays

www.surfintheeye.com

If I had to choose it would be another vote for Latinia by The Sentinels.
That song simply takes me to my happy place.

Lost-Isle
Coconut Wired Podcast
Barefoot bloggin'

Not that it's my thread or I'm the surf police, but I see some people putting down non surf songs as choices.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Feb 03, 2007 23:30:43

For the first wave, I'd have to say "Pipeline" by The Chantays. For what's current, I'd have to say "Sandstorm" by The Madeira.

Matt

Fast Cars & Loud Guitars!

I think, if you ever listened to The Beach radio show, that you'll know my answer to this one.

When I was a wee lad, I was blown away by Pipeline. For me it captured a feeling and attitude that has stayed with me my entire life. Other songs helped mold my love of surf / instro music -- Blues Theme, Green Onions, Let's Go Trippin', etc., but Pipeline had (has) it all! Cool, mellow, smooth, very surfy, great melody, etc., etc., etc. For me, the song is both a great tune and a wonderful reminder of my youth in Downey, CA. Life was good!

I close almost every show with someone's cover of Pipeline. I use that as a tribute to the song. Plus I think it is covered so widely because it is indeed one of the top classics of the genre.

Thanks for posting the question... but Louie, Louie, me gotta go now. Rolling Eyes

Clint B.

that's cool, Clint.....

but thanks to EVERYONE for welcoming me here despite the wonky introduction (heh)........

I've learned alot, actually. I learned, for example, that I'd completely forgotten about the great song Latinia by The Sentinels...and whilst listening to that album (Original Surfing Hits) I also tuned in on another real classic....

Soul Beat part II ~ Jim Waller & The Deltas

I'm in Heaven.

L7

favs:
Riders In The Sky - Trashmen
Momenth Of Truth - Dave Myers & The Surftones
Squad Car - Eddie & The Showmen
Diamond Head - Ventures
Pressure - Pyramids
Banzai Washout - Dick Dale
The Truant - Truants
Astronauts - The Hearse

But if I really have to choose:
from the moment I heard it for the first time on a small transistor radio till this day, it's a cliche, but it's the Chantays - Pipeline

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next