Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Beach Boys 50'th Anniversary Reunion Album and Tour

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Maybe all this fuss is why gear topics are popular? Big Grin

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

From the LA Times.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/12/beach-boys-announce-50th-anniversary-reunion.html

No, I think all of the fuss is because people glean something drastically different from the intention. It's what is difficult about written word; it's open to so many different interpretations. I can write something in a jovial mood and someone takes it as being cold and callous.

Matt "tha Kat" Lentz
Skippy and the Skipjacks: 2018-
Skippyandtheskipjacks.net
https://www.facebook.com/skippyandtheskipjacks
Otto and the Ottomans: 2014-2015
The Coconauts surf band: 2009-2014
www.theamazingcoconauts.com
Group Captain and the Mandrakes 2013
http://www.gcmband.com/
The Surfside IV: 2002-2005, 2008-2009
the Del-Vamps: 1992-1999, 2006-2007
http://www.dblcrown.com/delvamps.html

Happens to my wife and I all the time.

Matt22 wrote:

No, I think all of the fuss is because people glean
something drastically different from the intention.
It's what is difficult about written word; it's open to
so many different interpretations. I can write
something in a jovial mood and someone takes it as
being cold and callous.

Yup, it's life. Smile Just for the record: I really do like the Beach Boys immensely. I think people automatically get defensive about something they hold dear, which is why I don't discuss religion with others...lol

Matt "tha Kat" Lentz
Skippy and the Skipjacks: 2018-
Skippyandtheskipjacks.net
https://www.facebook.com/skippyandtheskipjacks
Otto and the Ottomans: 2014-2015
The Coconauts surf band: 2009-2014
www.theamazingcoconauts.com
Group Captain and the Mandrakes 2013
http://www.gcmband.com/
The Surfside IV: 2002-2005, 2008-2009
the Del-Vamps: 1992-1999, 2006-2007
http://www.dblcrown.com/delvamps.html

I missed Miles Davis and Lightning Hopkins... was super close to seeing those guys at the Coach House in Cali before they passed...always regreted passing on those shows...

did get to see Roy Buchanan and good old John Lee Hooker a few times...

I say if you're into the Beach Boys get out there and check them out before they go away forever...

Was gonna say something. Changed my mind. Gleaning silently.

SSIV

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011 14:38:59

I have mixed emotions about this. If you can still do your job, it's good. If you can't, it's a good way to destroy memories. A couple of years ago, the band for the Beachboys tour was also the Jan and Dean band. I heard them and it was very poor. This was before Jan's passing. I've seen Brian on tv in the last 10 years. I'm concerned.

We can go on and on about bands that don't sound like they did back in their heyday. Are you kidding me? From Rock bands, to Metal bands, to Country, to Jazz, and on and on and on, and even our buddy Dick Dale. Nobody is holding a gun to your head to go to their show anyways.Too early to talk smack. I don't get it. Maybe they should just register themselves into an old folks home and climb in a wheelchair and forget about music all together?
I say power to the Beach Boys, and I wish them well. I certainly wouldn't give their tour and albumn a death sentence yet!
Geeeeeeeeeeez Louizeeeeeeeeee!

Be careful following the masses. Sometimes the "M" is silent...........................

BillyBlastOff wrote:

We can go on and on about bands that don't sound like
they did back in their heyday. Are you kidding me? From
Rock bands, to Metal bands, to Country, to Jazz, and on
and on and on, and even our buddy Dick Dale. Nobody is
holding a gun to your head to go to their show
anyways.Too early to talk smack. I don't get it. Maybe
they should just register themselves into an old folks
home and climb in a wheelchair and forget about music
all together?
I say power to the Beach Boys, and I wish them well. I
certainly wouldn't give their tour and albumn a death
sentence yet!
Geeeeeeeeeeez Louizeeeeeeeeee!

Yes Brilliant post, Billy. Right on the money. My feelings exactly.

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

I find it somewhat paradoxical that on a site where people are trying to keep a musical genre from the early 60’s alive, some people can disparage the most popular band from that era because they no longer sound like they used to. No kidding they don't! But were they the same in their 2nd year? Their 5th? Their 10th? A lot of us never attended those concerts in the early 60's so what do we know about what a Beach Boys concert "should" sound like? And is that even important?

Technology, the venue, member changes, growth as musicians and plain old aging make each concert different than the last. I don’t believe the point of a concert is listening to music with a critical ear anyway. This tour isn't touted as an exact recreation of the Beach Boys' heyday, it's billed as a celebration of the band's 50 year anniversary.

Instro and vocal surf was first and foremost party music. Kids packed the dancehalls and had fun. If your idea of fun, fun, fun and celebrating 50 years of 60’s beach and hot rod culture is playing some records, then go for it. To me, that pales in comparison to getting some friends together, and experiencing the music live by going to a concert to hear THE iconic band of that era playing all the songs you love.

https://www.facebook.com/index.php?lh=9353f9155b5ff32e14c998495fd00da4&#!/rich.derksen.7

Man, you nailed it. I'm hoping they play the Hollywood Bowl. It's the best outdoor venue and a perfect place for the party vibe you speak of. They let you bring in a cooler there so you can have your own wine, beer or whatever. Fun, Fun, Fun, indeed.

Pappa_Surf wrote:

I find it somewhat paradoxical that on a site where
people are trying to keep a musical genre from the
early 60’s alive, some people can disparage the most
popular band from that era because they no longer sound
like they used to. No kidding they don't!

That's not why any of us would rather this thing not happen.

You would rather this thing not happen? Weird. Just pretend it's not happening Jake. Don't worry about us, we'll have a great time.

Pappa Surf summed it up very well.

That said, I doubt I'll attend if they tour nearby as I'm sure the price of admission will be waaay higher than I'm willing to pay. I've all but banned myself from attending bigtime concerts as a matter of principal. God bless any aging musician that can pocket some $$$, but they'll have to do it without my hard earned money??

It's gotten freaking ridiculous!

METEOR IV on reverbnation

I don't mind taking the cheap seats. The Hollywood Bowl has a general admission area that's just fine. I saw The Who there. Another band with old guys and it was a total blast. Zack Starkey, Ringo's son was the drummer. Good times.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011 11:48:54

I saw the Beach Boys in the early 70s (excellent show) and I also saw the Pet Sounds Tour that Brian Wilson did with the Wondermints about 10(?) years ago. The Pet Sounds tour was much, much superior both in performance and material, couldn't have been any better. They never were a very physical show so for me it is quite different than seeing the Who try to jump around like they did at Woodstock. I would expect them to sound great today. I sold my Smile CD at a garage sale though, just couldn't listen to most of it. The best of it was recorded on earlier albums and the rest just doesn't fit musically or thematically with their huge body of work.

I agree about Smile. That album is mostly a solo effort of Brian's with Van Dyke Parks. The best stuff like "Good Vibrations" (a collaboration with Mike) is on their original releases. Townsend and Daltey were quite animated actually. Pete threw in quite a few windmills. Not the same as '67 but I wasn't expecting that. The music however, spoke for itself. When they kicked into Baba O'Reilly, the Hollywood Bowl exploded. Killer show.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011 12:05:31

i was there at the Hollywood Bowl to see and hear the Who: Zak Starkey on drums, Pino Paladino on bass, Rabbit Bundrick on keyboards, Simon Townshend on guitar 2... The Who sounded amazing...did you hear Pete's solo on...well...everything? He finally learned how to play that red Clapton Strat and Fender amp stack!

I agree with the previous poster re: David Marks playing along...I actually like the Beach Boys before Pet Sounds...

I have Orange Crate Art, another Brian Wilson/Van Dyke Parks album that I do enjoy even if it gets a little sentimental at times.

I saw the Who at Anaheim Stadium a year after Woodstock. Now that was a show to remember. Who's Next was still far off, they did Tommy and all the Live at Leeds stuff.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next