Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Picks!!!

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 214 15 16 17 1831 32 Next

Fender mediums. My default pick. I've tried others, but these with flatwound 12's was the combo that has made it all fall into place for me--as far as trem/double picking is concerned at least.

I use Clayton .60mm bass picks slightly sharpened on .12gauge rounds.

BTW ...double picking in Greek/Turkish is called "TSIFTETELI"...it's aslo the word for a type a dance/music westerners would call "Belly dance"....the sexy stuff......eastern equivalent to funk! ...Get down Maharishi!!!!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011 06:41:22

Yellow Dunlop Tortex. Perfect balance, not too thin yet not too thick (yea I know that's what she said lol) and are very versatile.

My wife just bought me a pick punch. The picks it punches are too small for my style, and my fingers brush the strings as I play. However, when I glue two of these together facing in opposite directions I get an exceptionally comfortable shape and size. Moreover, if the point dulls or breaks, I can immediately flip it around to the second point, it's like holding a spare pick. I doubt that picks made from most junk plastic will work well, but picks punched from larger worn picks should be good.

The photo shows picks I punched from plastic cards (and a plastic bottle) and from a dunlop ultex pick that had become misshapen from wear. It shows two picks made from gluing two picks together.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011 14:12:49

Depends on the music I'm playing. I play regularly in a blues band, for that I use Clayton standard shape, 1.52 mm for a fat one, I also play these on the rounded corner rather than the point and I "scrub" my finger on the string along with the pick and use hybrid picking. Thicker or thinner than that sounds too bright to my ear. However, for the surfy stuff I prefer either a Fender thin or medium for a nice pop in the reverb. The thins don't last to long, though. Cool

i like cool 88s. lol when i put it that way they sound like smokes. I love the way the cools and snarling dogs grab the ridges on my fingertips. i will make do with just about any pick between 60 and 100 as long as they aren't brittle or have some goofy shape.

Still rocking the Ultex Sharp 1.14's, best pick I've found so far.

I recently tried the Tortex III .88's but they just didn't "keep up" with my tremolo picking, so I went back to the Ultex and haven't had a problem since.

The Phantomatics on Facebook
The Phantomatics on Instagram
The Phantomatics on Bandcamp

blue chips are nice

Hi All-

I'm kinda new around here. Here's a couple of non-standard picks I really like...

For guitar, I'm hooked on Mojo Picks. I buy 'em off a guy on eBay. They are reshaped sold silver quarters. I'm partial to the year 1956, YMMV. They sound really great. Instead of a dead plastic "twap," I get a nice "ping" on the attack. They aren't as bright as you might think. Just right for me. They last a good long time.

For bass, I'm really digging Gravity Picks. They are acrylic (plexiglass) and come in several thicknesses. The have a nice solid but smooth attack. You can get 'em here: http://www.gravitypicks.com

I swear I'm not shilling for either of these guys. I pay full pop retail.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012 12:46:33

Taking the surf aesthetic too far...how many have you have scoured the beach for a seashell worn down to the shape of a guitar pick? They work surprisingly well with a much smoother attack than a stone pick.

http://blueruins.bandcamp.com

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012 17:18:18

My favourite pick is the Jim Dunlop small Stubby (3.0 mm). You can really bang the strings with that one and it is easy to hold (at least I think so). I always buy them by the dozens.

The Surfaders official website

I like the .88 Jim Dunlops. Heavy enough to dig in for lead, thin enough for comfortable rhythm

.73 mm

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012 09:58:21

It's not like this thread needed more input, but I thought I would put in my 2 cents worth. I had been using Fender medium picks for quite some time and was very satisfied with them. Within the past year, I got a sample pack of V-picks. Then later on added some Dunlops, Wegen and Gravity picks in assorted shapes and thicknesses. I was amazed as how the tone of the guitar can change just by changing the pick. Thinner picks are good for strumming and have a brighter tone, the thicker picks tend to darken the tone. Lately, I'm kind of partial to the V-pick Screamer model. It's 2.75 mm thick and triangular shaped with a very pronounced bevel.
http://v-picks.com/search.php?x=15&y=10&search_input=screamer&pick_cat=all

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012 14:59:22

For a while, I used one of these Hula Hottie picks on my Danelectro Bass VI.

It sounded real good, until I broke the pick, and then lost all the pieces.

Eventually sold the Dano Bass VI during an unemployment spell.

So it goes.

I've been experimenting with Wedgie rubber picks. These are very thick (3.1mm or 5mm) and are made of hard rubber not unlike the material of pencil erasers.
They give a very soft attack and almost make you sound like you're playing with your fingers. While their thickness makes them not really convenient for guitar, they are great for bass.

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

doclegume wrote:

This is my favourite pick ... quite unusual, but I like it !!

When I first started playing guitar in my early teens, I bought a whole set of Sharkfin picks, purely because they looked cool. I've never found them pleasent to actually play with though.

Having used all sorts of picks over the years, I'm fairly versatile/unfussy over what I use, but I generally go for something fairly thick (with just a hint of flex to it). Jim Dunlop Tortex's get used a fair bit, as I like the rough texture.

surfaholic wrote:

doclegume wrote:

This is my favourite pick ... quite unusual, but I like it !!

When I first started playing guitar in my early teens, I bought a whole set of Sharkfin picks, purely because they looked cool. I've never found them pleasent to actually play with though.

Having used all sorts of picks over the years, I'm fairly versatile/unfussy over what I use, but I generally go for something fairly thick (with just a hint of flex to it). Jim Dunlop Tortex's get used a fair bit, as I like the rough texture.

surfaholic- if you like the molded grip of the dunlops you owe it to yourself to try snarling dogs brain or cool picks. the grip is molded after a cats tongue. i like the black ones (.88)

I had always used some type of Dunlop pick, but 4 years ago I bought a blue chip pick for my acoustic guitars after hearing so many glowing reports. I also saw they had a 30 day money back guarantee, so I had nothing to lose. I loved the pick, but felt it was too expensive to use for electric.

About two years ago I popped the tendon in my forearm that works the right index finger, so now I need either a large pick made of easy to hold material or a fat pick that doesn't click/chirp. I pulled out the BC from my acoustic stash and it was amazing! So, I bought a CT55 Blue Chip for electric and I have used it for two years and nothing else. It is still in excellent condition!

I tried a few V picks in the rounded triangle and Freakishly Large size. They work well for slide and on some things as well as my Jazzmaaster which I had to drop down to 11s due to hand problems with 12s.

I went crazy with some holiday gift money and invested in both a TAD60-1R and a TAD80-1R Blue Chip and they re simply amazing! And, I shouldn't have to buy picks for 4 years or more. Lol!

Owner of Gunbarrel Custom Guitars!

Goto Page: Previous 1 214 15 16 17 1831 32 Next