Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

bigtikidude: New link https://m.yo...
306 days ago

bigtikidude: New link https://m.yo...
306 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
291 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
219 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
219 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
139 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
117 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
85 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
79 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
40 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

79%

79%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Which guitar was used?

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

I'm still trying to identify which guitars were/are used on surf songs. Anyone know what was used on "Let's Go"? Also, even though Carl Wilson was always photographed with a Jaguar, I wonder if he ever traded guitars with Al Jardine's Strat - or David L. Mark's Strat for that matter?

How's your digestion now?

Perhaps it's just my ignorance with the Beach Boys catalog, but I don't know of a song called "Let's Go." Are you referring to "Let's Go Trippin'?" Maybe "Let's Go Surfin'?" Or possibly "Let's Go Away for Awhile?"
Or maybe I'm just assuming that it's a Beach Boys song because of the Carl Wilson and Al Jardine references in the following sentence.
And, yes, there are notable photos of Carl with a Jag, but it seems more common to see him wielding a Rickenbacker.
alt text

In fact, he used them so much that they created a Carl Wilson signature model.

alt text

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

Sorry, that was a confusing post of mine. Let's Go is by the Routers. The very early pics I've seen of Carl Wilson (Beach Boys) usually showed him with a Jaguar.

There are pics and footage from very early on showing Carl with both the white Jag and the Rick. I don't know if there was a period of time where he used only one before getting the other.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Although...in the old BB videos in the other thread, Carl is playing a Ric 360-12, not the six-string.

Shoot the Pier on Bandcamp
Shoot the Pier on Reverb Nation
Shoot The Pier on Facebook
We are on Instagram under "@shootthepiersurfband"

My Country EP ... Florida Dirt Fire
https://floridadirtfire.bandcamp.com/album/florida-dirt-fire

My French Love Songs ... I really needed a change...
www.lonelyrose.bandcamp.com

I've seen him using a Ric, but I thought it was a 12 string. Thanks for the info! I wonder what he used on their version of Miserlou.

Let' Go . . .
If that is Tommy Tedesco playing the lead guitar on that track, my guess would be a Telecaster--but it's just that--a guess.

Just to touch on the Carl Wilson Jaguar/Rick tone....
Norm (Shivers13) posted a great in-studio performance of "Dance Dance Dance" (on the BB thread) that is signature Rick tone, and interesting to compare to say, his Jag tone on Fun Fun Fun.

You can't always tell what is being played on which surf recording, but this is one clear case of two different sounds. I prefer Carl's Jag tone generally.

I saw the Beach Boys when the Surf's Up album came out in 74(?) and Carl played a hollow body Guild the entire show.

More importantly...what chord is he playin in that photo above? Is he thumbing a G#...then I thought he was barring a Db with his little finger...I guess just a G#major on the lower strings. Seems like I remember old chords books instructing thumbing the E string on certain chords.

Shoot the Pier on Bandcamp
Shoot the Pier on Reverb Nation
Shoot The Pier on Facebook
We are on Instagram under "@shootthepiersurfband"

My Country EP ... Florida Dirt Fire
https://floridadirtfire.bandcamp.com/album/florida-dirt-fire

My French Love Songs ... I really needed a change...
www.lonelyrose.bandcamp.com

Stormtiger wrote:

I saw the Beach Boys when the Surf's Up album came out
in 74(?) and Carl played a hollow body Guild the entire
show.

Yes...found this clip from '65(!)showing Carl already had a Guild in his arsenal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUxMupNEno4&feature=related

Do you know which Guild model? I have a Starfire IV.

I've always read that Carl and David Marks had Stratocasters early on. Here's an early early clip, maybe the first footage of them playing. around the 1:30 mark, it shows both playing strats.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

^
^
WOW Chris!---great clip

Surfbones wrote:

Do you know which Guild model? I have a Starfire IV.

It looks like the fancier Starfire V?? Guild experts?
Here's another:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011 12:48:07

I think the Guild Starfire V had a Bigsby, where the Starfire IV does not. Anyone have a picture of Carl's Guild?

Carl was primarily a Jaguar guy in the early days. That's what he played on the Surf/Hot Rod era recordings. In several books it's mentioned he picked up the Rick post Beatles Invasion. He was an instant fan of the band when he first saw them.

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011 19:19:48

Dug up some more early Carl pics from '62. He apparently used both a Strat and a Jag in the early days. However, from what I've read and seen the Jaguar was his main axe until he switched to the Rick. These pics are from David Mark's excellent book, The Lost Beach Boy. David played a Strat during this time, then switched to a Jag for The Marksmen.

Surfbones wrote:

I think the Guild Starfire V had a Bigsby, where the
Starfire IV does not. Anyone have a picture of Carl's
Guild?

Can't find a pic of Carl's Guild, but through the late sixties and seventies he's pictured quite often with Gibson and Epiphone Hollowbodys. Mostly the Gibson.

SurferBill wrote:

More importantly...what chord is he playin in that
photo above? Is he thumbing a G#...then I thought he
was barring a Db with his little finger...I guess just
a G#major on the lower strings. Seems like I remember
old chords books instructing thumbing the E string on
certain chords.

I use my thumb to barre chords quite often. Gives my index finger a rest.

Los Fantasticos

If anyone is still interested, here is a picture of Carl with an early version of the Fender 12 String. He used this guitar around the time that Glen Campbell was with the band.

Carl was gracious enough to pose for this picture while I positioned myself with the Brownie camera. It took me a while, and he held that smile long enough for me to get a great shot. I think I released the shutter just in time.

Louie7 wrote:

If anyone is still interested, here is a picture of Carl with an early version of the Fender 12 String. He used this guitar around the time that Glen Campbell was with the band.

Carl was gracious enough to pose for this picture while I positioned myself with the Brownie camera. It took me a while, and he held that smile long enough for me to get a great shot. I think I released the shutter just in time.

Wow, must be a buzz having a pic like that in your collection!! Shock
Carl always came across as the quiet achiever in the BB's. He maintained one of the lower profiles as far as publicity went, but the contribution he made to that Band with his playing & particularly with that voice was more prominent than what a lot of people realize.
Yes

With the amount of money the BB's made, it wouldn't surprise me if Carl had somewhat of a collection. I distinctly remember seeing him playing a white Telecaster with a Bigsby on a filmclip many years ago, although I can't remember what the song was.

One thing that does throw me is his 12-string in this pic. To me it looks more like a Epiphone of some sort, but you can clearly see Gibson on the headstock! Anyone know what this model Gibson is/was?
Confused

Last edited: Apr 04, 2012 08:21:16

Goto Page: 1 2 Next