Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Videos »

Permalink Huh? Over 12,000 hits on Youtube? I'm baffled.

Page 1 of 1

I'm stoked, but I don't get it. We,( The SurfRockets), have over 12,000 hits on our humble little Mag 7 vid that Marty Tippens shot from a tri-pod, while all our other vids are under the 2000 hit range. People must have a thing for that Marlboro Man tune. Weird.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPmrMqF40Jw&feature=related

Be careful following the masses. Sometimes the "M" is silent...........................

it's the Duran Duran hat dude.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

It was me Billy, I watched it 12,000 times trying to get the chord sequence right. Big Grin

LOL! It is a tricky one Crumble!

Be careful following the masses. Sometimes the "M" is silent...........................

It's the shirts.

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

On a more serious note, it's more likely that the video shows up as being similar to other very popular ones, where your other videos don't. A quick look shows that your covers of Misirlou and Walk Don't Run also have higher numbers than some of the others. Betcha your version shows up as similar to other versions, and those songs are more well known.

Is there any way to know from Youtube what your video gets paired up with?

raito wrote:

On a more serious note, it's more likely that the video
shows up as being similar to other very popular ones,
where your other videos don't. A quick look shows that
your covers of Misirlou and Walk Don't Run also have
higher numbers than some of the others. Betcha your
version shows up as similar to other versions, and
those songs are more well known.

Is there any way to know from Youtube what your video
gets paired up with?

Not really sure Bro. Although, it does make me wanna take a closer look at song selections on our setlists when it comes to doing covers. Youtube does have it's advantages.

Great job Billy!

I got a tip for anyone posting surf videos on youtube. I noticed some instro videos getting huge numbers so I looked at their tags and I stumbled across the magic word "surfing". I tried it on one of my videos and it's clocked up well over 100,000 hits to date Smile

The "Insight" facility on youtube provides some very interesting data, for example that video of mine seems to be very popular in Brazil and Germany.

Yeah you can use the insight facility to see where the hits are coming from. Perhaps a website or blog linked to it.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

From the video statistics display:

A
09/12/09 First view from a mobile device 509
B
08/02/08 First referral from related video – The El Dorados - Theme from The Magnificent Seven 129
C
06/17/08 First referral from related video – Marlboro Theme Guitar Version 132
D
06/07/08 First referral from related video – Marlboro Song 181
E
05/13/08 First referral from related video – Andra Ramadhan - Marlboro Theme Song (Live @ Surabaya) 274
F
05/06/08 First referral from YouTube search – the marlboro song 123
G
05/03/08 First referral from YouTube search – marlboro magnificent seven 111
H
05/01/08 First referral from YouTube search – marlboro song 3,929
I
04/30/08 First referral from YouTube search – marlboro theme song 1,042
J
04/30/08 First referral from YouTube search – marlboro theme 253

The other thing you can do is Google the URL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPmrMqF40Jw

My personal experience (in which 50 hits is viral) tend to reveal that this sort of thing is connected to someone posting the link somewhere, e.g., as part of the announcement for a show at a bigger venue, etc. Or sometimes it's an unexpected concatenation of keywords. For example, Ghost Rider(s) (the animation) or Motor Vixen (the Vixen motor bike is popular in Malaysia). Misirlou always gets traffic. In another case it was the presence of a ukulele. Ukulele people can be pretty fanatical. People search for things like "ukulele this week" or "Gretsch this month" etc. In a few cases I suspect somebody in Central Asia or Saudi Arabia has become fixated on a woman appearing a video. Otherwise I'm not sure why "Shaggin' Wagon" would be such a big hit in Uzbekistan.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. guys. Makes sense. No wonder. Look how many hits the original theme song gathered. Ok, time to re-invent our covers on the setlist accordingly, and hope the best for our originals. ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iteRKvRKFA&feature=related

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011 21:28:47

Page 1 of 1