Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Solos in Instro Surf

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5

I never used to in other kinds of bands, but in surf I like playing solos. I get my 8 bars or 12 bars or whatever and it is a challenge to do more with less. We cover a Mancini tune lately that has me going in weird directions that I always look forward to. The songs really calls for the solo to start off in E but I invariably wind up going to G something-or-other then to variations on the extended C6 chord form; I usually almost lose the whole f-ing thing, but then somehow find my way back home. It is a scary ride. Love that feeling. Of course, it doesn't hurt that the tune has the rhythm section playing a really fast, jazzy Manciniesque chromatic two-bar melody of E-B-E(octave)-Eb-D-C#-C-B. The tune has a built-in trainwreck factor so all bets are off with this vamp. It is our only truly (intentionally) dissonant number, and I think it works pretty much.

That said, nothing better then a tasteful solo using the minor pentatonic scales. I like to do it the old-fashioned way. Do it right (stay away from the fast arpeggios, bending up minor thirds, and half-octave dive bombs) and you've got a real early-'60s vibe happening instantly. Lately, I like to play the minor pentatonic in keys other than the chord root. Over a minor chord, try a minor pentatonic that is a step or even a 5th above the root. Fun!

SSIV

Last edited: May 06, 2011 21:07:43

That sounds like Jazz !!! Big Grin

Always thought the Insect Surfers played solos in their songs.

Like a lot of things, it's not what you do, it's the way that you do it

Freshwater Surfin'

The Murray Basin
Australia

Ornette... Different strokes I suppose. I used to go to the Fillmore and groove to hippie bands [instead of studying, I know]. One night my buddy wanted us to see Ornette [w/ his boy on drums]. I finally drifted off; just couldn't stay with it.

However, I probably sound a bit 'harmolodic' nowadays when I have to do Brown-Eyed Girl yet again.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5