Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Recording Corner »

Permalink Reduce file size, not quality.

Page 1 of 1

Hey guys,
Can anyone suggest a good way to reduce the file size of a recording slightly, without losing any of the sound quality?

I've got a recording that is 8.39 megs in size, and I need to reduce it to 8 megs or less in order to post it on ReverbNation.com.

Thanks guys,
Ken

Fin Doctors
Crashmatics

What format is it in now? If it is already in mp3, I'd just increase the compression one notch.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

depends on what file format you want or have to use. There are lossless compression algorithms that won't harm your audio but these are not as efficient and wide-spread as e.g. the MP3 format.

Greetings - the Fenderizer

they're coming to take me away, hahaaa ...

the only way to 'compress' it is to lower the quality or bit rate of the mp3. mp3 encodes and compresses sound or video files and the bit rate is the quality it compresses them at. so thus, lowering the bit rate will lower file size. if you lower it to 128 that is usually the threshold of good mp3 quality. anything lower sounds like a cellphone recording.

Knarle Tide

http://www.facebook.com/knarletide
http://www.reverbnation.com/knarletide

MrSpaghetti
the only way to 'compress' it is to lower the quality or bit rate of the mp3. mp3 encodes and compresses sound or video files and the bit rate is the quality it compresses them at. so thus, lowering the bit rate will lower file size. if you lower it to 128 that is usually the threshold of good mp3 quality. anything lower sounds like a cellphone recording.

I think 256 is my threshold. Especially with surf music. 128 is why mp3s have a bad name.

I'm personally okay with 192, but maybe the years of listening and playing rock n' roll have taken their toll on my hearing.

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

If you want to keep it in mp3 format you could always encode with a variable bit-rate to keep the file size down. A 200-ish VBR mp3 will be indistinguishable from a 320 constant bit-rate mp3 to 95% of people and takes up much less space. I've seen tons of audiophiles fail ABX tests against VBR mp3s, so if they can't tell the difference then it's good enough for me Smile

Hot Summer Comes Again!
Let's Go Beach! Let's Go Beach!

SUBJECTIVELY:
I suppose most non-musician people, with non-audiofile or monitoring systems, in non-acoustically treated environments, would be hard pressed to feel a degradation in sound above 256kb/s vs the original. Many can, though, easily Confused (I can). 320cbr or 256(ish)vbr is the bare minimum for me.

OBJECTIVELY: Mp3 encoders add noise, to reduce perceivable aliasing that comes with resampling the data. So NEVER re-encode an already existing mp3 to a lower bitrate, it will sound horrible. ALWAYS sample the original WAV/AIFF/FLAC to the desired target.

Page 1 of 1