Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Slow Surf Songs

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

I think Henry Mancini's stuff might be a good place to look for inspiration too.

Yo Danny.....No one has mentioned The Ventures. Off the top i can think of "The Lonely Sea" and "Changing Tides" from their 'Surfing' album. i've listened to and learned both of these tunes and they have inspired me to write a few "ballads" myself. Good luck and don't fall asleep!!
RR Cool

The TakeOffs
"Kauai's Only All-Instrumental Surf Band"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-TakeOffs/312866840587

I tried to think about what slow surf songs I like, and couldn't come up with a whole lot. Yeah, Latinia is nice, but how many more times do we need to hear it done. I realized that the slow instrumentals that I like are based on spy/crime type stuff, spaghetti western, Euro-instro and exotica. Maybe this is a good direction for influence, or for covers.

Ran

The Scimitars

i like "Wayward Nile" by the Chantays... that's one awesome tune...also, "Theme from Endless Summer" by the Sandals...

As soon as I have a chance to record it, I could always send my own original slow song in your direction, although it's highly likely what I do will have 3-piece instrumentation. I don't yet have a lap steel, to know if it'd fit into what I've developed, so far, but if what I do ultimately ends up as a 3-piece affair, it'll be interesting to hear what it'd sound like arranged for more than guitar, bass and drums. Smile

Matt

Fast Cars & Loud Guitars!

"Man from COBOL" by the Aqualads
"Ipcress File" Laika & the Cosmonauts
"The Lonely Bull" Herb Alpert
"Green Leaves of Summer" (can't remember)
Theme from "Exodus"
"Bali Hai"

Le Dimance Matin - 50 Foot Combo

It's amazing what jewels you re-discover when you put shuffle on your iTunes. Anyone who is an "iTuner" should try this -- type "surf" into your search window, and hit shuffle. It's soooo fun to hear... kinda like your own personal surf radio station. You never know what's gonna come next, and you hear all this long-neglected stuff.

~B~

Hell I'm not shy, here's a slow tune from my band! Laughing

http://thesurfonics.com/Mexican_Sunset.mp3

MikeG
Hell I'm not shy, here's a slow tune from my band! Laughing

http://thesurfonics.com/Mexican_Sunset.mp3

Thanks Mike, that was good.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Hallo Mike,
what a great instrumantal!!!! It knocked me down.
I tried a slow surf-insrtumental too, but it sounds more "european". I gave it the name "A Day At The Beach". You´ll find it under downloads/demos. Hope you´ll like it too.

Nice tune, Cruncher! Pretty slick production, and I like the guitar tone. Thumbs Up

Thanks for the kind comments about our song Mexican Sunset Smile

-Mike

Lamento A-Go Go by the Penetrators. It has more soul and passion than anything else I can think of. A true master piece as far as Katcher is Koncerned. ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Mexican Sunset - it's beautiful! MikeG, thank you for sharing that.
-outsides-

The Ventures- Love goddess of Venus
Blue Stingrays- Russian Roulette

My band does a slow tune I wrote called "The Killer (Left A Trail of Severed Limbs)". The recording quality is miserable, I gotta warn you, but it's not a bad take, if you want to check it out:

http://www.uvm.edu/~mkrauss/images/mk/The_Killer.mp3

btw mike, your track sounds great

wooza
Both the Bambi Molesters and the Mermen (really) have cranked out lots of the most mellow songs, so they would be any easy starting point.

Here are a few from the "chill surf" playlist on my computer, which I think are toward the slowest end of the spectrum:
Bambi Molesters - Pearl Divin', The Breeze and I, Glider, Corazon de Loco Jorge
Mermen - Merry-Go-Round, Raglan, Sway, Sand, Slo Mo HVO, Abalone Daze
Django Twango - Sunset
Slacktone - Nocturne
Madeira - Crescent Moon, The Oasis
Space Cossacks - Jewel of Duende
Bitch Boys - Snowman
Most of the rest are from KFJC comps which, if you have any, usually tend to have at least one good slow song.

Good luck, Danny. Can't wait to hear your take. Man, when slow surf is done well, it can be the best. Cool

Yep, gotta give a thumbs up to the Bambi Molesters. Definitly an exotic sound.

Also highly recommend: "Spanish Blue" by the Aqua Velvets. Very nice slow instro. Pretty simple (Em Am Em B, bridge: Am Em X3 F# B), but you want to work on the percussion and guitar sound to really get it right. I'm in two hobby bands and both have fallen in love with it. Extra hint: Don't play it too slow, it will drag. Put just a little snap in it. Have fun.

-- Lou P.

MikeG
Theme from "Exodus"

The Ventures do a brilliant recording of "Exodus" on their "Wild Again" album.

SurfCat

chad3006
I think Henry Mancini's stuff might be a good place to look for inspiration too.

Also Chet Atkins who is one the the finest guitar players ever heard on planet Earth.

The Ventures found "Walk Don't Run" on a Chet Atkins album, adapted it to their playing abilities and had a national hit (and started collecting those sweet royalty checks).

SurfCat

Cruncher
Hallo Mike,
I tried a slow surf-insrtumental too, but it sounds more "european". I gave it the name "A Day At The Beach". You´ll find it under downloads/demos. Hope you´ll like it too.

Hey Cruncher I have several of your albums!
Jupiter C and Go Surfin' With on vinyl and Surf Guitar on cd...
Cool!

now checks back to the slow surf thread

My all time favorite slow surf/hot rod tunes:

Deuce Coupes - Dawn Patrol (it's on Ace's Hot Rod Hits)
Darts - Cruisin' (on the same compi) I think you could slow that one down to an almost stop...

Now that I'm listening to 'em, they aren't really really slow, but have that mellow relaxed feel...

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next