Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Most overrated "classic"?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

vulture
I'm pretty new to the whole surf music thing and havent really learnt what the differences are and why the ventures arent surf but i should learn on that.

Vulture, go to:

http://www.reverbcentral.com/

click on 'articles' and then 'what is surf' to get the gospel from the man himself - Phil Dirt.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Hey, Hey, I just figured this all out.......The real reason that you guys all hate those classic first wave tunes is that you're frankly damn jealous that you couldn't turn out a timeless masterpiece like Pipeline, Mr Moto, or Baja. Those pioneers (some only fifteen years old or so) had no one to listen to but the other surf bands playing in a garage down the street or at a high school dance. They brought the colors to the palette and we, forty plus years later are for the most part, still painting with them.

I for one respect and admire them all.

Respectfully,

Edward J Katcher, Old Dude

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

eddiekatcher
Hey, Hey, I just figured this all out.......The real reason that you guys all hate those classic first wave tunes is that you're frankly damn jealous that you couldn't turn out a timeless masterpiece like Pipeline, Mr Moto, or Baja. Those pioneers (some only fifteen years old or so) had no one to listen to but the other surf bands playing in a garage down the street or at a high school dance. They brought the colors to the palette and we, forty plus years later are for the most part, still painting with them.

Respectfully,

Well said Eddie!!
None of it's over rated, if anything it's all UNDER APPRECIATED.

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

eddiekatcher

Thumbs Up Guitar

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Wipe out is too cliche' for me. (So is walk dont run)...Penetration by The Ventures Live in Japan is awesome and so is The Surfaris version. (Of course the Pyramid version is sweet too)

I love both the Lively Ones version of Surf Rider and the Ventures album version, All the Ventures live versions suck IMO because they speed it up. The best version is thier studio one, the interplay of the drums and the opening riff rules! We play the Ventures slow version, but if we had a saxamaphone player Id play the Lively Ones version.

Please forgive, but the original "The Lonely Surfer" is just tooo orchestral and overproduced for these ears.

Pretty much anything with overbearing sax solos gets skipped by me. Unfortunately they put it all over a lot of otherwise great songs.

</heresy>

http://www.reverbnation.com/thedeadranchhands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZEW74mHjQk

I didn't really get "Boss" by the Rumblers until I heard the Nightriders do it. I guess it needed the modern punch...otherwise it was a boring 1-4-5.

"Hello Girls!"

UmaFloresta
Pretty much anything with overbearing sax solos gets skipped by me. Unfortunately they put it all over a lot of otherwise great songs.

</heresy>

I have to admit to not being a big fan of sax in the surf. That's why I don't care so much for Surf Rider by The Lively Ones.

I like this though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ekfPF4GL0

Ralph
The Storm Surfers

Be at one with the universe. If you can't do that, at least be at one with your guitar.

Borat would be proud of that version!
No, no...I mean really that guy is a master...quite kitsch, but cool in a way...

Sometimes Sax rules tho...

xxx

Regarding Surfin' Bird/Pappa Ooma Mow Mow. The original was by The Rivingtons, not the Coasters. By the way they're described in their Wikipedia entry, they would fit right in with this group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rivingtons

LHR
For me it is "Miserlou". Why? Well, I have heard Dick Dale's version about a million times so that's not fun anymore.

If I had to make up a "Top 50" list, I'd put Miserlou somewhere in the 40s. Maybe not even in the top 50. It's okay, but that's about it.
OTOH, "Mar Gaya" sounds like it was made from the same ingredients, but has much more flavour to it. I put it in the top 10 or 15.

"Surfer Joe": without the word "surfer" in the title we wouldn't even be discussing it. Sounds too much like a poorly-done Buddy Holly pastiche.

"Bustin' Surfboards" and "Let's Go Trippin'": Both sound like a zillion other tunes to me. Yawn. Like a bunch of guys jamming on a tune they never rehearsed before.

"Pipeline": I rarely hear a version I don't like (but there are some). I can't get tired of it.

"Wipeout": I can't judge this fairly. I'm always reminded of one of the girls at my high school dancing to it at the sock hops, which gives it an advantage. She had some moves.

I'm not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.

"There's a Dog Gone Ding in My Ding Dong Board" by the Surf Finks.

I've chimed in already, and I shall again.

Wipe Out. Most overrated; 1.) It is a very popular song 2.) It is a terrible song.

planish
"Surfer Joe": without the word "surfer" in the title we wouldn't even be discussing it.

It's gets as much attention as it did/does because it was the B-side (and originally intended to be the A-side, IIRC) of "Wipe Out." If the Surfaris had recorded one of their other vocals instead that day, people probably would have been ranking on that one in this thread. (Especially if it was the Jim Fuller-sung rendition of "Hound Dog.")

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

I think I am gonna go with Wipeout.

Monkey

Ohh, I'm relieved. I though that something is wrong with me, for I can't stand Let's Go Trippin.

But I strongly oppose the negative comments on Pipeline, Surf Rider and Surfin Bird. They among my favorite classics. Maybe some dislike Surf Rider, because is a sax driven song, but I love sax and yes - Surfin Bird is not exactly a surf song, but it so crazy and energetic and punk.

Surfin Bird is not my cup of tea.

You know, most of these songs seem a bit lame just because the got played to death over the last 50 years. If you take them in context of the time, some of them still suck.... Big Grin

Seriously, the thing to take from these is that most of the bands mentioned started in a garage somewhere and were snapped up by a music industry that was just jumping on the band wagon. Things haven't changed much. The cool thing is that this genre has survived a very dramatic change in guitar based music over that time. Unlike the blues genre which was almost killed by metal players trying to apply that style to old blues tunes. (i.e. The L.A. Blues Authority)

Not overrated..just overly popular,,Wipeout ..the Mustang Sally of surf music still very popular because it rocks..it's been said before but rock and roll is first and foremost dance music..and as much as we can appreciate all styles if the tune don't get ya movin......I'm all for taking the music somewhere new also..our last cd took several classics and drug them kicking and screaming into the 2000's...still appreciate the roots though
Take a listen/look at the Ventures in Japan video..Mel Taylor did some cool breaks on their version of Wipe Out....it's not our favorite song to perform but the audience enjoys it

www.northofmalibu.com

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next